The White Hindu has moved

The White Hindu has moved! This blog is no longer updated, but Ambaa is still writing The White Hindu every weekday at Patheos.com.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hinduism in Ghana

Tonight a friend at study group had just returned from a trip to Ghana, Africa. He showed us pictures of a thriving Hindu temple there, run entirely by Africans.

This article from BBC is about the temple and its swami:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10401741

My study group and I were very impressed. It shows a lot of dedication for them to be following Hinduism in the middle of an intensely evangelical Christian culture.

I think it also opened some people's eyes to the idea that Hinduism is not only meaningful to Indians. It holds a spirit that is enticing and desirable to many people of diverse backgrounds in different parts of the world.

I feel so happy knowing that this temple exists.

11 comments:

  1. And it's about time. As you know, the Dharma is for all humankind. Indians have spread their culture and religions among non Indians for centuries (the "Greater India" Hindu influence in southeast and central Asia, Buddhism in China).But that was done quietly and nonviolently by cultural assimilation,not conquest.

    I have met Indians who don't know that history. But as India becomes a world power; more and more non Indians are finally paying attention. The Dharma is a truly tolerant religion--an alternative to certain other harsh, punishing,intolerant faiths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a new news for me !.i never heard about a hindu temple in Africa.thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is news to me too...Sanatana Dharma is indeed Sanatan (eternal)! I also came across a youtube video of Wesleyan University students performing a fairly difficult Carnatic music recital (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8iCm8gAP9Y) - probably a part of their course, but nice to see Indian/Hindu culture taken up with sincerity by non-Indians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so great to find out about a thing like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. About time is exactly how I feel! I agree that it shows that Sanatana Dharma is eternal and for all humankind. Such a wonderful thing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aamba- It's amazing how you've discovered the eternal values of hinduism when a lifelong practicing hindu like myself can easily take for granted.
    I have been reading your posts and comments on other blogs for a while but I just realized you live in MD too. I live in Montgomery county.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? Wow, I live in Howard County. We should get together sometime, send me an email!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amba, good that you posted this. I was aware of the African Hindu monk, its very inspiring indeed..The fellow hindus must google- himalayan academy, David Frawley of New Mexiaco, Frank Morales of Nebraska to learn about white hindu monks as well.Its an humbling experience for all hindus out there from Bali to california.Surya

    ReplyDelete
  9. why no post for so long? missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeh, I am a ghanaian Hindu and very proud about it because I understand what I'm doing. God bless HH Swami Ghanandji, and Swami Krishnanji of blessed memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wonderful! Welcome, Emmanuel, good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete