The White Hindu has moved

The White Hindu has moved! This blog is no longer updated, but Ambaa is still writing The White Hindu every weekday at Patheos.com.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Weekend a success, in the end.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

Everything sorted itself out.

As it turned out, the picnic was mainly focused on the children, so I didn't hear about it because I don't have kids.

Going to the dinner and the study group will give me people that I can talk to who can keep me informed on things.

I had an awesome time at both. I have never felt so welcomed.

There were more than fifty people at the dinner, which was at the same house as the study group. The two people I had emailed about joining the study group were there and they introduced me around and made sure that I was never alone in a corner (it might surprise you to know that I'm naturally a bit shy and have a hard time with big social situations!) Everyone was tremendously friendly.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the reception of the older people. This must be a prejudice on my part, maybe based on my own Granny, who is quite judgmental. I was introduced to the mother of the man whose house it was and she was cheerful and welcoming and happy to have me. I expected an older generation to be wary of someone like me and that was not the case at all.

I am so impressed by her! She speaks English, Tamil, Hindi, Sanskrit, and Bengali!

There were a couple of other Grannies there as well and they were just as kind. I met one older woman who was visiting from Chennai and she told me all about the arts and music that happen there. She was the most beautiful, elegant older woman I've ever seen.

All the Grannies had a sparkle about them, especially in their eyes. It made me think, I would like to be like that.

The next day I went to the study group, which was about ten people and very comfortable. I was struck again by how familiar the teachings are. Advaita is the same, no matter who is teaching it to you. The concepts, the ideas, they were all exactly what I believe.

Of course I had to explain again and again how I found Chinmaya and why I was there, but everyone accepted my explanation that my parents taught me Advaita as a child, but left out the culture and that I wanted both. A family friend told me that Chinmaya would be a good fit for me, and so it is!

:D

3 comments:

  1. It's very nice to hear that you found some company. I TOTALLY get what you said about the Granny sparkle. My own grandma could read/write/speak Hindi, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, English and spoke Tamil. My grandad was only bilingual in comparison. Our culture is rich in oral traditions so the grandmother is usually the wisest about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you found a great group of folks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could take this Amma for my own granny, Satish! She is awesome.

    ReplyDelete