The White Hindu has moved

The White Hindu has moved! This blog is no longer updated, but Ambaa is still writing The White Hindu every weekday at Patheos.com.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

An Exciting Possibility...

I love my Hindi meet-up group. The people there are so friendly and fun and welcoming. I don't do a whole lot of Hindi speaking, but I feel encouraged by the parts of it I do understand. I have a real feel for the language now.

Last night we had dinner with the group and my boyfriend impressed everyone by being able to write his name in Hindi script. The little scrap of paper got passed all around.

Before dinner, my boyfriend took me to India Sari Palace, a clothing store that was on the way. It was so much fun. I bought two new suits and I scoped out the wedding lenghas and jewelry sets!

One of the other great things about the Hindi group is that it is fantastic for networking. Whatever you're interested in, someone always knows a website or an organization or another person to help you.

One of the girls there told me that she was going to India this summer to teach in an orphanage. Then she suggested that I should come.

At first this seemed crazy, but throughout the night I kept thinking about it. It is actually a fantastic opportunity. I have waited for years for money and time to be together for me to manage a trip to India. My parents visited without me a few years ago and I was crushed that I couldn't go because of work. It has seemed impossible because I don't know anyone there anymore. My cousin who lived in Bangalore for ten years is now back in the U.S. I want to go to India so badly, and yet I couldn't figure out how.

She said that with this organization they take care of where you live and what you eat for two weeks and they pick you up and drop you off at the airport. I would at least know her, so I wouldn't feel completely alone in a new place.

The money would be tricky, I would probably have to put it on my credit card and pay back later. But I have a very flexible job at the moment. I am also in school and I am signed up for a summer class, so I might have to drop that or see if I can make up the work.

I have been wanting to do some volunteering and I have lately been going baby-crazy, so helping at an orphanage would be perfect for what I want to do right now.

I'm anxiously awaiting more information from the girl I met last night. It feels like an opportunity has been dropped right into my lap and I would regret it forever if I didn't do everything possible to take advantage of it.

In other news, it's Easter today and I am going to my boyfriend's family wearing a suit with a bindi. Should be interesting... :)

1 comment:

  1. A shop named "Indian Sari Palace" sounds like a place I could spend a serious amount of time in... especially if it has a wall full of bangle bracelets. Good luck at your bf's for Easter.. I'm sure you'll look smashing in your suit & bindi!

    ReplyDelete