The White Hindu has moved

The White Hindu has moved! This blog is no longer updated, but Ambaa is still writing The White Hindu every weekday at Patheos.com.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Aarthi on Sunday

I have recently moved to a new state and I'm trying to get myself established in the religious community. It's a slow process to try to find a temple to attend or events within the Indian community. You sort-of have to be already tapped in. There's a temple some thirty miles away that I'm interested in, but I haven't yet gotten up the courage to go and check it out.

It takes a lot of nerve and a focus outside myself to show up someplace where I not only know no one, but will be the only non-Indian and what I do and say will be closely observed, if only for the novelty of it. I frequently find myself to be an object of curiosity and I'll explain more about that in later posts.

A less frightening way to start is the university Hindu students associations. There was one at the graduate school I went to and it was very helpful for having small services weekly and for getting me connected to other Indian events. I participated in Holi (the spring festival) with them and went on temple visits with them.

Now I am not in school, but I came across a website for the Hindu students association for a major university in the area. It said that they have a regular Aarthi (fire service) each Sunday. I don't know if this is still true, because the website hasn't been updated in more than a year.

So this Sunday I'm going to head over there and see if anything is going on. Hopefully this will be the first step toward connecting with a community. Practicing a religion all alone is not as satisfying as with a group.

No comments:

Post a Comment